Childbirth & Newborn Care
All first-time parents are encouraged to attend Childbirth and Newborn Care. This class, taught as a full-day or two-session course, prepares expectant parents for baby’s arrival and covers:
- Vaginal, cesarean and assisted-delivery procedures
- Phases of labor
- Stages of delivery and recovery
- Coping skills
- Basic breathing techniques
- Pain management options
- Newborn care - holding, soothing, diapering, bathing, feeding
- What to expect during the first few weeks at home
- What to do when baby cries
- How to tell if baby is sick
- When to call the doctor
A tour of the Birthplace is included as part of this class.
Interested in a more in-depth, hands-on review of relaxation techniques used during labor and delivery? Register for Relaxation and More as well.
All childbirth classes are free of charge for those delivering at The Birthplace of Lutheran Children’s Hospital. Visit the Calendar of Events, type “Childbirth” and select “Lutheran Hospital” for a complete list of upcoming childbirth classes. Register for classes online or call (260) 435-2699, option 4.